General Education

Kindergarten Pre-Registration

Kindergarten Connect offer letters were sent in the beginning of March. If you reside in the PS 166 school zone and you received an offer letter for PS 166 kindergarten placement, please read the following carefully:

  • Pre-registration is by appointment only. We cannot accommodate walk-ins.
  • While the offer letter states that you must pre-register by April 7th, you must set up your registration appointment well before that date. Appointments fill up fast, so it’s best to make your appointment as soon as you receive the offer letter. NYC schools are closed from April 8-18.
  • Sign up for your appointment HERE. If there are no appointments available, please e-mail and be sure to state your child’s name.

    If you choose not to accept your child’s placement offer, please send an e-mail to and provide your name, child’s name, child’s date of birth and the school he/she will attend.



 Your child – very important!

  • Child’s birth certificate, passport, or record of baptism which includes the date of birth (original and 1 copy that will not be returned)
  • Immunization records (1 copy that will not be returned)
  • Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable and available) (1 copy that will not be returned)
  • Proof of address which may be verified by any two of the following containing the address of residence (originals and 1 copy of each that will not be returned):
    • A lease agreement, deed or mortgage statement for the residence**
    • A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name issued by a utility company (e.g., National Grid or Con Edison), must be dated within the past 60 days
    • A bill for cable television services provided to the residence; must include the name of the parent and the address of the residence and be dated within the past 60 days
    • Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency, including the IRS, the City Housing Authority, Human Resources Administration, the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS), or an ACS subcontractor or the federal Office of Refugee Settlement, indicating the resident’s name and address, must be dated within the past 60 days
    • A current property tax bill for the residence
    • A water bill for the residence dated within the past 90 days
    • Rent receipt which includes the address of the residence, must be dated within the past 60 days
    • State, city, or other government issued identification (including an IDNYC card), which has not expired and includes the address of residence
    • Income tax form for the last calendar year
    • Official NYS Driver’s License or learner’s permit which has not expired
    • Official payroll documentation from an employer issued within the past 60 days such as a pay stub with home address, a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead is not adequate); must include home address and be dated within the past 60 days
    • Voter registration documents, which include the name of the parent and the address of residence

** If you are not the leaseholder of your residence, you must submit a notarized Residency Affidavit. Along with the lease or deed and one additional address document from the list above. (originals and 1 copy of each that will not be returned)

We are extremely conscientious about address verification. Your zoned school is where your child’s primary residence is. It is not an apartment you own or rent but do not reside in at the time of application/registration, your place of employment, or any other variation. We retain the right to conduct address investigations after pre-registration and registration is contingent on the results of those investigations.

We do not expect to have seats for children who reside outside of our zone.

Your zoned school is determined by your home address. If you don’t know which school is your zoned school, call 311 or visit the School Search.


 Applying to PS 166 for the 2017-18 School Year


The Kindergarten Connect Deadline has passed. If you recently moved to the PS 166 zone and have a child born in 2012, your child may be placed on our waitlist for kindergarten. Please e-mail and provide your name, child’s name, address, phone number and child’s date of birth.

Grades 1-5

Pre-registration for zoned students who will be in grades 1-5 in September will take place later in the spring, after the completion of kindergarten pre-registration. Please e-mail and provide your name, address, child’s name, child’s date of birth, and current grade.




P: (212) 678-2829 F: (212) 579-4542
132 West 89th Street, New York, NY 10024