504 Accommodations

Your child may be able to receive health services or accommodations in school under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. These services allow students with special health needs to fully participate in school. For example, students with a medical condition may be given medicine at school. Students who have trouble seeing or hearing might be seated close to the blackboard.

How to find out if your child qualifies for services or accommodations

  1. Contact either:

    Describe your child’s condition and the type of help he or she needs.

  1. Your child’s school principal will explain how to apply for services for your child.
  2. After you apply, your school will review your request for services. Your school’s 504 Team will invite you to a meeting to discuss your child’s needs. At this meeting, the Team will decide if your child will receive any services or accommodations. You will be informed of the decision within 30 days.

If you have any questions, ask your principal or e-mail 504questions@schools.nyc.gov.

For more information, read the  504-accommodations-student-and-family-guide