Registration Checklist

To Register a child for school you need to submit: 

  1. Proof of your child’s age (child’s birth certificate, passport, or record of baptism)
  2. Your child’s immunization records 
  3. Your child’s latest report card/transcript (grades 1-5, if available)
  4. Two documents below verifying proof of address
  • Lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence;
  • A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name issued by a utility company (e.g., National Grid or Con Edison); must be dated within the past 60 days;
  • A bill for cable television services provided to the residence; must include the name of the parent and the address of the residence and be dated within the past 60 days;
  • Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency, including the IRS, the City Housing Authority, the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement, the Human Resources Administration, or the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS), or an ACS subcontractor, indicating the resident’s name and address; must be dated within the past 60 days;
  • A current property tax bill for the residence;
  • A water bill for the residence; must be dated within the past 90 days;
  • Rent receipt which includes the address of residence; must be dated within the past 60 days;
  • State, city, or other government issued identification (including an IDNYC card), which has not expired and includes the address of residence;
  • Income tax form for the last calendar year;
  • Official NYS Driver’s License or learner’s permit, which has not expired;
  • Official payroll documentation from an employer issued within the past 60 days such as a paystub with home address, a form submitted for tax withholding purposes, or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead is not adequate); must include home address and be dated within the past 60 days;
  • Voter registration documents, which include the name of the parent and the address of residence;
  • Unexpired membership documents based upon residency (e.g., neighborhood residents’ association), which include the name of the parent and the address of residence;
  • Evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers; documents must have been issued within the past 60 days and include name of student and address of residence.





FAQs (updated September 2023)

We live in the catchment for PS 166. Do we need to apply?

Yes! In-catchment applicants for Kindergarten must submit an application through Myschools. Parents may rank multiple schools on one application. No applications are accepted at individual schools. Visit the DOE website for more information.

Are we guaranteed a seat if we live in the catchment zone?

We hope to be able to offer seats to all in-catchment applicants but if there are more applicants than seats, some in-zone children could be wait listed.

What if we live out of the catchment zone? Out of district 3?

Parents can list any schools, in or out of their catchment zone on their application but priority is still given for zoned families.

Only children who were born in 2019 may apply for kindergarten for 2024-2025 school year. A child with a 2018 birthdate will be eligible for first grade.


About PS 166

How many children are in the school? Each class? How many classes in the school?

There are approximately 600 children in the school in the 2022-2023 year.

Kindergarten classes have 25 students; Grades 1-5 have between 20 and 30. 

We have: four kindergartens, four 1st grades; four 2nd grades; four 3rd grades; four 4th grades; and four 5th grades.  This is subject to change.

We currently have two G&T classes on every grade and two General Ed classes, one of which is an ICT (Integrated Co-Teaching.) 

Do you have any Special Education classes?

We have one ICT class (Integrated Co-Teaching) on every grade level, which is comprised of both general education and special education students (60/40) and 2 certified teachers (one gen-ed and one special ed).

How long is the school day?

Our school day is from 8:20 AM - 2:40 PM.  

Are there teaching assistants?

Kindergarten and grade 1 classes have full day teaching assistants. Grades 2-5 have part time assistants who rotate among the classes. TAs also help supervise lunch and recess. The assistants are funded by PTA Annual Giving and fundraisers throughout the year. The TAs are hired and supervised by our administration

Do you offer breakfast and lunch? How much does it cost?

We offer breakfast and lunch every day. On early dismissal days we offer a bagged grab-n-go lunch. Lunch is free for all DOE students regardless of family income. We follow the DOE alternative lunch menu for K-8. More about school food can be found at

Students have a 25 minute lunch and a 25 minute recess every day.

Who supervises the children during lunch and recess?

Lunch and recess are supervised by administrators, TAs and other school staff members. We also have recess coaches who engage the children in exercise and games during recess.

Do you have a library?

Yes.  All students visit the library.

What specials classes do students have each week?

Phys-ed, art, music, theater, and technology.

What literacy program do you use?

We use Advancing Literacy which encompasses balanced literacy with a focus on the Common Core Standards. Reading includes word study, phonics, spelling, decoding vocabulary, daily read-alouds, guided, shared and silent reading. There is writing in every subject area.

What math program do you use?

We use a standards based math program that includes many components. Students use Math Rotations and Number Talks, working in small groups at math centers. Students are assessed using ECAM (Early Childhood Assessments in Mathematics) a research-based, comprehensive interview assessment tool in K-2 and Screener Centers in 3-5.

Is there homework in kindergarten?

Teachers assign homework to students to both reinforce units of study and to deepen the level of understanding of classroom lessons. Homework promotes student responsibility, helps to foster independence and helps students to budget their time and organize their work.

Kindergarten teachers begin sending reading book baggies and abc sound cards (based on need) home in October. Spelling words will be shared in October but formal spelling homework and any and all written homework will begin in January. Students should read (or have parents read to them) 20 minutes nightly. Reading 20 minutes a day increases a child’s vocabulary by 1.8 million words a year.

Are any foreign languages taught at PS 166?

No, but some language classes are available in our Afterschool Program.

What outside organizations do you work with?

Organizations we have partnered with recently include Ballet Hispanico, TaDa!, Metropolitan Opera, NY Historical Society, Child Mind Institute, Liberty Science Center, BioBus, Art Farm and more.

Do students go on field trips?

 At PS 166, teachers takes advantage of being in a city with so many cultural institutions and opportunities. Our students visit many museums such as the Guggenheim, the Whitney, the Met, the NYC Fire Museum, the Tenement Museum and more and see performances at Symphony Space, the Met Opera, and the Swedish Cottage, just to name a few.

What is the interaction between programs?

We are one school with 2 programs –General Education (which includes ICT classes) and G&T. Teachers in both programs plan lessons together across the grade. Students visit other classrooms for publishing parties, science fairs, etc. In recess and lunch, students are grouped by grade. Performing Arts shows, assemblies, field trips and afterschool programs are also opportunities for all students to get to know other children outside of their classroom.  

Where do the 5th graders move on to?

Fifth graders move on to many different schools. In recent years, the largest number of students went to MS 54, followed by West End Secondary and the Computer School. Some went to Anderson, Columbia Secondary School, Mott Hall II, Lafayette Academy and MSC, among others. A few move on to attend private schools.

Do you have an afterschool program?

Amazing Athletes is our afterschool provider. They offer a wide variety of classes as well as homework help. Afterschool begins when school ends and runs until 5:40 PM.  

Is there yellow bus service?

Transportation is available to students in accordance with the eligibility guidelines of the Office of Pupil Transportation (OPT) Please visit for more eligibility requirements.